On October 13 & 14, 2012 APA Midwest will host Photo Assistant Basic Training with Sony Artisan of Imagery – Matthew Jordan Smith. Get a major head start on a career in the photo industry with this tried and tested program developed years ago by APA Los Angeles.
With panel discussions, equipment demonstrations from industry experts, and hands-on training, attendees will come away with the essential knowledge and confidence to build your own Pro Assistant reputation. Acquire a comprehensive understanding of professional assisting behavioral guidelines, including contemporary set-etiquette, and discover how this valuable training will get you more call-backs – more repeat clients, more work.
Master Assisting Professionalism and get booked solid.
Kicks off with the popular “Assistant Panel” which includes experts on working as a photo assistant. Get real world answers to all questions from the attendees. Following the panel discussion will be exciting live software and equipment demonstrations with industry reps from Sony, Profoto, and Adobe. Learn from the pros. Industry reps will be on hand to answer all your questions.
9:45A: Introduce participants and details what to expect
10:00A: Panel discussion and Q&A
1:45P: White seamless set‐up
2:30P: Sony, Profoto, Tenba, X‐rite, PhotoShelter, Adobe
5:00P: Wrap up – Raffle Door Prizes – Day Ends
Full on, hands-on workshops with much of the gear an assistant will most likely encounter on the majority of professional photo shoots. Many aspects of assisting will be explained in great detail, i.e. strobes, hot lights, flags, scrims, set etiquette, the assistant kit, tips on getting work, billing, and how to deal with the dreaded cancellation. Following classroom discussion and demonstrations, participants will work along side the Pro Photographers to discover crucial pro assisting skills.
9:00A: Sign In / Assign Workshop Groups
9:45A: Overall presentation, joined by Sony Artisan and 3rd instructor.
Outline and expectations of the day.
10:30A: Studio & Equipment rental procedures; how to work with a studio
11:00A: Workshops ‐ Each Instructor takes their group and begins assignment
1:30P: Workshops begin again
4:45P: Instructors review the day with all attendees. Have Q&A session. Wrap up
5:00P: Raffle of Door Prizes
Day One Panel Discussion Panelists
Tony Gale – Award winning Photographer, APA NY Chapter Representative, (Moderator)
Matthew Jordan Smith – Celebrated Pro Photographer, Sony Artisan Of Imagery
Kayla Lindquist – Director, Sony Artisans of Imagery Program, former Photo Assistant
Mark J. Doddato – Professional photo assistant in Chicago
Sandy Rosencrans – Professional photo assistant in Chicago
Questions and topics the panel will cover:
- How should an aspiring assistant approach a photographer?
- How did you get your first assistant job?
- How do I find photographers to work for?
- What rate should an assistant charge?
- What is the difference between a tech and an assistant?
- How long should I wait to get paid?
- Who besides a photographer should I contact to get assisting work?
- What do you look for in a photographer you work for?
- What should an assistant bring to a shoot?
- What questions should an assistant ask when called for a job?
- What do you say if asked if you are a photographer too?
- What do you do if you have to make a call? Cell phones on set?
- Networking and social media?
- What non-photo skills should I have? Social Media, blogging, self promotion etc?
- How should you dress/appear?
- What about mixing male/female assistants?
- Assistants as employees/freelancers?
- How and should an assistant be picking up gear and equipment before & after shoot?
- Interns? Are they paid?
- How much of your own work do you shoot will being a busy assistant?
Grubman Photography, Inc.
456 North Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60642
Registration required for each day. Schedule both days: 9:00am – 5:00pm
October 13: Free
October 14: $40.00
Free Raffle with Great Prizes Valued At Almost $4,000
All attendees are entitled to enter a special raffle for:
- One SONY NEX-F3K/B Camera
- Two copies of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
- Four Tenba Messenger bags
- Two Blinkbid licenses
- Four PhotoShelter one year free Standard accounts
Must be present to win. One prize per winner, one drawing each day.